TD Bank Facebook Twitter Instagram Bruins Mobile App
POSTED ON Saturday, 08.27.2011 / 11:23 PM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels -- Boston Bruins Assistant GM Don Sweeney enjoyed a second day with Lord Stanley on Saturday when he brought the Cup to the town of St. Stephen in New Brunswick, Canada.

"St. Stephen will always be my hometown," said Sweeney to the hundreds of fans gathered at the town's Border Arena. "The turnout today is indicative of why that is true.

"The support for sports, the camaraderie, the family relationships [here] extend beyond...what this Cup represents for me as a player who grew up playing in this very arena.

"So, I'm very, very grateful for everybody's [support] today," he said.

Sweeney enjoyed support throughout St. Stephen throughout the day. From a parade that started near the Canada/USA border to the reception at Border Arena to his visit to the city's center the citizens of his home community made sure that the former B's player and current administrator felt very welcome.

But in many ways, Sweeney's return to his roots was a "thank you" to his parents.

"I have to take a few minutes to thank my mother and father Paul and Joanne for the countless hours, the day trips, the night trips and the overnight trips and the time that they spent shuttling my [rear] around to arenas just to provide an opportunity for me to play hockey," he said.

"I'm very, very blessed to have their support and my entire family's support.

"They should share in this day," added Sweeney of the extended family who joined him in the celebration.

As he did when he told about his day in Massachusetts, Sweeney saved special and high praise for his wife Christine (who won pairs gold at the 1988 Canadian Figure Skating Championships and who competed in the 1988 and 1992 Olympic Winter Games) and his twin boys Jarrod and Tyler.

"My wife, who understands probably better than anybody why I've chased that trophy right over there both as a player and now in management," said Sweeney to the gathered crowd. "It does take a lot of sacrifice, not just from the person [in the NHL], but from the person that has to stand in the background and she certainly doesn't need to do that.

"She's a champion in her own right in figure skating and I'm sure everyone here voted for her in Battle of the Blades, as well.

"But she's been a great partner through all this and she shares equally in the rewards of me being able to bring this back to share with each and every one of you."

Earlier in the summer, Sweeney said that having the Cup for a day brought "a real sense of reality to the accomplishment."

And now, the long time Bruins defenseman said he is enjoying the moniker of Stanley Cup champion.

"It has a really nice ring to it," said Sweeney to the crowd gathered in St. Stephen's town center. "It was a long time in coming for myself and the Boston Bruins organization and I want to say thank you to everybody involved in helping put this together and to share in this day.

"This is the roots to me -- where I started my hockey career -- and I felt compelled to...once I got a hold of that Holy Grail to be able to bring it back and share it with each and every one of you."

POSTED ON Thursday, 08.25.2011 / 10:58 PM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels -- B's defenseman Steve Kampfer began today's interview about his Thursday with the Stanley Cup by thinking about the moments immediately following the Bruins Game 7 victory over the Vancouver Canucks.

"It was an exciting time to receive the Cup and then take a victory lap," said Kampfer while wearing a wide grin in the visitors locker room of the University of Michigan's Yost Arena. "It was fun to get the picture and raise it up over the head for the first time.

"Then, to hand it off to somebody else Knowing what your team accomplished is amazing," he said.

For any true blue Michigan Wolverines fan, Kampfer's day with the Cup was a-MAIZE-ing as Steve made sure to bring Stanley back to Ann Arbor.

"I think with Michigan it was just one of those things," he said. "We started off with my trainer and then brought it -- I'll call it home -- because you spent so much time here at Yost.

"So you bring it back and get time to celebrate and spend time with the fans and the staff.

"I played here for four years and it was a defining time in my career," continued Kampfer. "So, I really wanted to bring it back here and give something back to Mott's hospital."

Kampfer spoke about the personal importance of the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.

"It touched home, for what my sister [Kristin] has gone through and to be able to give back to the hospital that helped save her and hopefully can save more kids," said Kampfer, who collected money for the medical facility and the Michigan hockey program while providing an opportunity for Michigan fans to get their picture taken with Steve and the Cup.

Kampfer's sister has undergone multiple procedures at the hospital and the family credits the staff there for saving her life.

"It was something that I've always wanted to do and I'm looking forward to making a little contribution to them," he said.

The combination of presenting the Stanley Cup to his University of Michigan family and fans along with his family friends in the state of Michigan was perfect for Kampfer.

"We get to go do this and take it home for a bit and do some more city things and get to have a family dinner and a little fun at night," said Kampfer.

And a little wrinkle in the Cup's schedule also left Steve with some time on Friday morning.

Kampfer knew exactly what he was going to do.

"A little golf!" said Kampfer. "I think I'm going to throw a little tour in there.

"I think it's going to be my ball marker for a little bit, so if I get inside of you, more than likely you're in trouble. You've got to putt around it.

"But hopefully I'm on, so we'll see," he said.

However, after the Cup hits the road on Friday, Kampfer is ready to turn the page and continue his preparations for the 2011-12 season.

"I've been skating for a little while now," said Kampfer. "So, I'm excited to get back and I'm excited to get going again. You know?

"This time of year you start getting the itch. Hockey's coming around and you want to get back.

"You want to put on that spoked-B and get on the ice and hopefully go for another great run."

POSTED ON Wednesday, 08.24.2011 / 8:18 PM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels --
As he sat behind a desk for a press conference on the football field at his old high school in Davison, Michigan, B's goaltender Tim Thomas was asked about his visit home and the many laurels that were bestowed on him in recognition of his Stanley Cup heroics.

"No I didn’t think id have a bridge named after me I was pretty surprised when that happened," said Thomas of the naming of a local span and the keys to the city given in his honor on "Tim Thomas Day" in Davison.

"It’s pretty cool.

"And you know, in this area this high school -- obviously everyone’s high school -- has a big impact on their life," he said.

Throughout the day Thomas was reunited with some of the people who had a major impact on his career, including Tom Barrow, who coached Tim during his time at Davison High.

"He had a huge impact on the way the rest of my career turned out," said Thomas of trips with Barrow to local men's league games. "He was trying to teach me patience and not to go so far out of my crease.

"I think he somewhat failed at that," added Thomas with a knowing laugh. "But no, he was a great role model at that time in my life and someone to look up to."

And now, Thomas is pleased to be someone that kids look up to in terms of an example of hard work and perseverance.

"I’m happy if that’s what they’re taking out of it, that’s what I want them to take out of it," said Thomas. "You know, the Stanley Cup is awesome, but I think that’s a more important thing to focus on than the Stanley Cup or the Conn Smyth or the Vezina.

"It’s not the easiest of times, lets be honest, in the United States right now. There’s high unemployment in the younger generation and I think they need hope and they need to see that you know, that need to be inspired."

Thomas hopes that his own youthful dreams -- and his willingness to work for them to come true -- is something that is not lost on the kids who see him play and he thinks that work ethic was learned on the streets, rinks and schoolyards of Davison and Flint.

"I think the Midwest work ethic was highly instilled in me growing up. But I was also taught if you want something bad enough and you’re willing to work towards it that you can get it," said Thomas. "It’s kind of the American dream, so to speak, which I think some people have kind of given up on.

"But you know I’m proof that you still can and you know, if there’s anything that the younger generation watching here today, or that’s part of this, takes out of it is that its up to you.

"You can do nearly whatever you want if you’re willing to work hard enough and long enough at it."

And on Wednesday, Thomas worked long and hard at thanking those people who helped instill those values in him and who cheered him on along the way.

"I saw a lot of people I hadn’t seen in years and I actually in a certain way had even forgot that they had supported me and that they’d been there," he said. "I saw people I worked at Domino's Pizza with, delivering pizzas.

"I saw people that I played softball with and that were friends. It was great. I was nervous before this, I’m always nervous before these type of, well anything that centers around me like that.

"Once I got up there and saw all the people and so many that I recognized I felt happy that I was able to bring this day here, bring the Cup home," he said.

But Thomas also admitted that the planning of his day, which included stops at his church and high school and a private party with family and friends, was not all his doing.

"Well to be honest with you I was so zapped from that Stanley Cup run that I barely had the energy to plan anything," said Thomas. "My cousins Matt and Tammy stepped in and they did the majority of the grunt work for me and I appreciate that from them.

"They pretty much came up with the itinerary for the day and knowing how zapped I was -- I mean, winning the Stanley Cup takes more emotional, physical and mental energy than I would have ever believe.

"I mean I’ve been tired after seasons before but after this run, it’s a hard recovery. I've had lots of friends and family that have stepped in and...picked it up trying to help me out."

However, Thomas explained that the hectic schedule following the B's Stanley Cup win was part of the package.

"This is part and parcel of winning the Cup," said Thomas. "To be honest, its been overwhelming. The whole summer and...people's response to us winning this Cup and to me winning the Cup.

"I don’t think I eve mentally prepared or thought about the reaction that would come after. I was too busy doing it. But having said that its great to be honored like that, but that isn’t the reason I played.

"The reason I played is because I love to compete and I love to challenge myself to see how good I can be."

POSTED ON Saturday, 08.20.2011 / 11:34 PM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels -- Believe it or not, B's legend Johnny Bucyk had never had a day with Stanley prior to August 20th, when he recieved the Cup at his summer home in British Columbia.

Johnny "Chief" Bucyk
You see, players didn't get the Stanley Cup to themselves when they won back in 1970 and 72, but that didn't make winning any less special.

"Winning the Cup in the two years that we did win it, that made it complete," said Bucyk of his career. "And them having my number retired of course finalized it and being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

"But getting the Stanley Cup now and still being part of the team, it was just great.

"It was thirty nine years since we won and I was just happy to be a part of it."

It had been almost four decades since Bucyk skated off the ice with the Cup in Boston's possession and when B's captain Zdeno Chara grabbed "The Jug" in June it capped off what "Chief" simply described as "a good year."

But for Bucyk, who began his career in Boston in 1957, being part of a third Stanley Cup for the B's was very special and the former Bruins captain relished being able to contribute in his capacity of road services director -- a role that puts him on the road with the team coordinating travel, hotel rooms and tickets amongst many other duties.

"The parts that I enjoyed was working with the management," said Bucyk. "You know, working with the coaches, the GMs and Cam [Neely].

"They let me do my thing for what I had to do.

"And everybody in the office, all the kids, they were so polite and go good to me. You know everybody always has a 'Good morning,' had a 'How you doing?' and 'Good to see you!' and stuff like that," he said.

Asked about his longevity with the B's and Bucyk again credited the Black & Gold.

"I think just the organization itself. That’s what keep me going," said Chief. "The people there are so great and that’s what makes the team so great -- everybody’s working together."

Bucyk seemed to be able to fit plenty into his time with the Cup in Creston, BC. He met the Hockey Hall of Fame's Cup keeper Howie Barrow in Cranbrook and brought the Cup two hours to Creston's convention center.

"We did three hours of signing," he said. "“They just could believe that [the Cup] was there.

"People came form other towns to see it, we had people comes from Vancouver to see it.

"It was so much excitement. My own family, my grandson Christopher, he had a heck of a time,” he said.

But that wasn't the only stop.

"Then we went to a nursing home," continued Bucyk. "We took it to a lot of patients.

"A lot of them knew what it was all about and a lot of them didn’t, but they were all shocked to see this Stanley Cup, weighs 34 and a half pounds to see it in there in the building.

"And of course it was good to see of the staff, the people that spend their devoted time working with these people, give them a chance to see -- because they couldn’t obviously get down to the rink because they had to be at work -- so we kind of surprised everybody there."

And then it was time for some private time.

"We came to my place and I had much of my relatives and friends locally and they came over with some of the neighbors and we sat around and they all had pictures with the Cup," said Bucyk, who was joined by son-in-law Joe Laroche. "It turned you to be just one special day."

A special day made more special by the keeper of the Cup.

"He was so good with the people, with the public, especially the kids; answering questions, talking to them, having a great time," said Bucyk. "He does a great job.”

Asked what stuck out most for him on his Cup day, and Chief was quick to talk about the politenss and friendliness of the fans he encountered along the way.

"They were so appreciative to see the Cup and you know we gave them autographs, we gave them all kinds of little souvenir stuff and they were just appreciative and it just made it a fun day," said Bucyk. "A long day, but a fun day."

It was a day that will get added to the many special moments in a 54-year career in Black & Gold.

“Any time you win the Cup its great and you’re a part of it and it's beautiful,” he said.

POSTED ON Friday, 08.19.2011 / 7:32 AM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels --
Generally, Johnny Boychuk is the happiest person that you could encounter on any given day.

Stanley and Boychuk take a drive. Click here for a full gallery.
Add the Stanley Cup and, well, let's just say that even the distance from Edmonton to Boston (and a so-so phone connection) couldn't hide "the happy" in the defenseman's voice as he talked about his time with the Cup.

Every moment of the day resonated with the Edmonton native, who brought "The Jug" back to Alberta on August 19.

"Well, we picked it up when the plane landed at 11 o’clock," said Boychuk of the Cup's arrival. "And we went to eat at a place called Chop with just immediate family."

But the day didn't stay private for very long.

"From there, because they had everything set up, we went to Stollery Children's Hospital and we spent about two hours there or so," said Boychuk.

Like so many of his teammates, Boychuk's time in the hospital showed him the power that the Stanley Cup has to spread the smiles to everyone it encounters.

"I think bringing it to the Hospital was probably the best moment," said Boychuk. "Just seeing the kids smile.

"They’re not doing very well themselves in that hospital.

"You know to see them smiling, you know getting there spirits up just makes it all worth bringing it there,” he said.

Family, friends and hockey fans shared in those lifted spirits as Boychuk toured greater Edmonton.

"On the way to the Stollery we stopped and took one picture," said Johnny to set the scene. "There’s like a big Stanley Cup in Edmonton outside of a sports store and along the way, I’m like ‘Oh lets stop right here.’

"It took two seconds then there were people seeing it and they were like ‘What is that?’

"Then we went right to the Stanley Cup and took a picture of it, with the actual Stanley Cup," said Boychuk.

The day gave Johnny a chance to take the Cup down memory lane -- or make that Wayne Gretzky Drive.

"From the Hospital, on the way to my parents house, we stopped at the Rexall Place where the Oilers play," continued Boychuk. "There’s a statue of Wayne Gretzky in front of the Stadium or the Arena, kind of like how we have Bobby Orr.

"And I took a picture in front of Wayne Gretzky holding the Cup."

Everyone in Edmonton seemed to get some time with Stanley.

"We went to my mom and dad’s house, took some pictures with immediate family, the same people that were at Chop," he said. "From there we went to a place called Fort Edmonton Park.

"And we got there and I got brought in by a group of bagpipers and from there, there were about 700 people that were there -- fans, family, friends just to take pictures with the Cup.

"That was for about three hours, which took us to about 9:30 p.m.”

Bringing the Cup back to Edmonton was important to Boychuk, who grew up with the city's powerful Oilers teams of the late 1980's.

"It made everybody’s day, or week, or month, or year," he said. "For them to be able to take a picture with it and you know get to touch the Stanley Cup just means a lot to everybody, especially coming from a place that is a hockey city too."

Asked what stood out most about the Edmonton teams of his childhood, Boychuk said, "Just that they were able to win it almost every year.

"They had such a good team and you know, its hard to win one Stanley Cup let alone five in a matter of ten years, right?”

But having the Cup himself had Boychuk wanting to make similar plans next summer.

"After having a day with the Cup, the next day I was like ‘Wow I cant wait to win another one now and have another day with it.'”

Check out the video from CTV Edmonton.

POSTED ON Thursday, 08.18.2011 / 7:52 AM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels -- Defenseman Shane Hnidy said that if he had been told in January that he would rejoin the Boston Bruins and be a Stanley Cup champion in June he would have said, "I Better get to work! Because I wasn't in shape yet."

But Hnidy pointed out that in hockey, you never can tell.

"You cant predict the future," he said. "But when the Bruins showed interest and it started coming closer to being a reality, I made sure I was going to get ready.

"I knew they had the parts in place that was going to make a long run and they did have as good a chance as any to win it and things just could not have worked out better."

As such, Hnidy ended his Boston career by raising the Cup in Vancouver and enjoying a day with Lord Stanley in his hometown of Neepawa, Manitoba on August 18.

"You know the day ended up being great," said Hnidy. "It was rushed, but we got everything we could into the day.

"It arrived in Winnipeg I was able to get some family photos and stuff before we got to my hometown where the circus began. We did some photos with the family and with the Cup with all my family members. Then we took it to my hometown Neepawa to my parent's place where a lot of close friends and family members were able to come and get some pictures with the Stanley Cup.

"From there, I went did photos with the public. We had a social event where people came out and we had a little fun with it and we had a bit of a party."

I sounds like most of Neepawa (pop. 3298 in a recent census) was there for the party.

"At the social I think we had around six hundred people and I think we went through about a thousand people before that for photos," said Hnidy, who sounded relieved that everything went off without a hitch.

"You kind of get a lot of anxiety leading up with whether or not it's going to work out but I had a lot of great people helping organize and it just turned out fantastic."

As did Hnidy's hockey career should it have come to an end after Game 7.
"To go back and win the Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins is just a dream come true," said Hnidy. "For my career that really is the moment, and to do it with Boston -- a team I played six games (in 2010-11) -- Boston was the team that was closest to my heart and it just felt like it fit my style.

"To be part of an 'Original Six' in such an amazing group of guys really capped everything off on whats been a great career and whether it continues or not I don't know yet but it sure makes things feel right."

Hnidy said that a few special moments with the Cup stand out.

"The moments we had in the dressing room right after we won the Cup with the champagne and everything," he said. "You know all the guys were in such a true state of joy.

"Those memories will last.

"Obviously, my kids weren't there to share it so when I was able to bring it to the house so my kids were able to see the Stanley Cup. There was a lot of great moments in the day but for them to share that experience first it was great," he said.

And "Hnides" expanded that moment to include Neepawa.

"Bringing the Cup to my hometown where so many people have supported and followed my career for fifteen years of pro hockey, ups and downs, even juniors when I left Neepawa -- those People have been behind me and following me and to bring it where it's never been was just amazing," he said.

Hnidy also said he was happy to have had the entire day on film, because the experience was so unbelievable.

"Thank goodness, I got photos because it does seem surreal but you know the photographer took them and we went and looked at the pictures yesterday and its just amazing to look at the pictures of that and some friends have pictures from the day," he said with a laugh. "It's just 'Wow' you know?

"It's something that's just going to live with you forever and the moment we all aspire to capture and I was lucky enough to do it."

POSTED ON Sunday, 08.14.2011 / 11:23 PM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels --
Any return to Vancouver is special for Milan Lucic, but a return to British Columbia in the company of the Stanley Cup certainly raises the intensity of the experience.

"It's cool," said Lucic, enthusiastically. "I mean I'm the only guy who's bringing it back to where we won -- in my hometown.

"So that kind of makes this experience extra special.

"I have a connection with Vancouver and I obviously love the city and have a lot of respect for the city and the fans," he said.

Lucic's first stop was not a surprise to those who have followed his career.

"First I took it to the Serbian Cultural Center here, where the church is and I saw folks there," said Lucic.  "I took it there because it's obviously a pretty good support group I get from...the Serbian people here.

"We have a pretty strong group [in Vancouver] and this year has been a pretty good yeat for us."

Milan and his fellow athletically inclined Serbian brethren have brought home the hardware.

"I won the Stanley Cup, Peja Stojakovic won the NBA championship and Novak Djokovic is doing what he's doing in tennis," said Lucic. "So it's been a good year for us, so I thought that'd be a pretty good idea."

Then Lucic and the Stanley Cup would take in the sights via boad.

"We're taking it on a boat cruise through Vancouver around Stanley Park there," said Milan. "I did that just because I thought that would be cool and everyone would enjoy something like that.

"Me and my family...really don't do stuff like that around here."

Finally, a private dinner party with family and friends on a local mountain with a Vancouver view will close out the festivities for Lucic.

"I have a great support group in my friends and family, and that's basically what today's about -- sharing it all with them," he said.  "That's why I'm having more of these little private events.

"My family deserves to be around it more than anyone and I want them to enjoy it as much as I do."

If they do, it'll be another cherished Stanley Cup experience for Lucic.

"Oh yeah. Oh yeah," said said the forward when asked if the B's championship had lived up to his expectations.

"Obviously, I was fortunate enough to win the junior ranks and so I've gotten the feeling of winning, but this one by far was been a dream come true," said Lucic. "Nothing compares to this day and this whole experience.

"It's just unbelievable and that's why, going back and going into next year it makes you want to go through it again because it is such a special feeling."

As such, Lucic said he is just fine with the Bruins short summer.

"I'm okay with it for this reason," he said, emphatically.

POSTED ON Saturday, 08.13.2011 / 9:06 PM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels --
Despite all of his years in the NHL and his three Stanley Cup championships, Mark Recchi admitted that he was a little nervous as he waited for Lord Stanley's bowl to arrive on Saturday morning.

"We're going to make it as laid back a day as I can," he said. "But I'm still really excited and still getting nervous [because] the Cup is coming here."

Even with the excitement, Recchi said that he is definitely not thinking about giving it another go come September.

"You know, just because it ended my career on a high note," he said of his reasoning. "This was the best kind of ending you could ask for.

"Not too many people get to do that, and end their career on top, so it's the perfect way to go."

But the B's former alternate captain reiterated why his time with the Bruins was so special.

"Just being around the guys all year and how great a group we had together," explained Recchi. "We really pulled together through thick and thin and good times and bad times.

"We had a lot of fun together and we did it the right way."

And Recchi is going to handle his Cup day the right way, too.

He'll give back to his community in Kamloops, BC.

"As soon as it gets here I'm going down to get a picture with the Royal Mounted Police here with their horses," he said. "Then I have a luncheon with the Royal Inland Hospital for the ICU foundation.

"We're raising some money there and then I'm taking the Cup up to the hospital to see the kids, patients and staff and let them get a chance to see it.

"Then it will be at my parents place. It's private, probably close to 80 people when it's all said and done."

Recchi also said that he won't be the only Bruin in town today.

"Andrew [Ference] is coming up, which will be really good, with his family," said Recchi of the B's defenseman. "It will be nice to see them."

Like all of his former teammates who have had their day with the Cup this summer, Recchi stressed the importance of his friends and family getting their moment with Lord Stanley in his hometown.

"It's something special," he said. "All my family is here.

"I don't think there's that many people who cheered for me here, in BC, so it makes it a little bit interesting," added Recchi with a chuckle. "But the family is getting a great opportunity to spend a great day.

"It's great to spend it with the kids. It's really neat."

This time around, however, the kids will remember the day.

"It's been great, it's been wonderful," said Recchi. "They're excited and they know what's going on now, which is kind of nice.

"They're really excited about it."

The beloved Bruin, who will get another day with Lord Stanley later this summer, said he is really excited for the future, too.

"You know, it's been a great run," said Recchi, who explained he'll be a little bit more involved with his junior team in Kamloops this season.

"I will, a little bit, I'll come into town a little bit more and see what's going on," before he hinted at the next chapter in his personal hockey odyssey.

"Maybe I'll see if I can get into the management side at some point in the NHL and get back into the game."

POSTED ON Wednesday, 08.10.2011 / 9:29 PM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels -- Dennis Seidenberg, asked to describe his most memorable moment from the Boston Bruins run to  the Stanley Cup, said what stuck out most for him was the initial seconds after the final buzzer on Game 7 sounded the B's victory.

"I mean it was the weird feeling that we had not knowing how to react," said Seidenberg. "That’s the one feeling I think about a lot.

"Right after the game it's kind of an empty feeling like you know you won the Stanley Cup but its not really real yet."

Now, it's probably quite real now for Seidenberg, who spent Tuesday with Lord Stanley.

"Definitely," said the B's defenseman. "As far as feeling real, after the parade I think when we saw those people in the street and how happy they were and how they supported us and celebrated us -- that was a way to really thank them -- and I realized what we did for that city.

"Yesterday was another flashback to that."

Like the rest of his teammates who have had their moment with Stanley, Seidenberg's day with the Cup was very memorable and very full.

"I got in the morning at 10 and I took it out on the boat in Atlantic City," he said. "We just took it out on the ocean for a little bit and took a couple pictures.

"Then we took it back and had lunch at the marina right in front of the Golden Nugget Casino."

"And after we had [Noah] christened out of the Cup!" reports that it's not the first time that Lord Stanley has been used in a christening, but it certainly was a highlight in a day full of memorable moments for the Seidenberg family, who actually took a break during their time with "The Jug."

"We just relaxed a little bit then came back around 5 or 5:30 p.m. and that’s when the festivities started," said Dennis. "A barbeque by the pool got rained out so we went into the ballroom at the Caesars [Palace].

"I went there with friends and people from Boston, the Casino had some people [there] and then we went on to the nightclub in the Caesar’s which is called Dusk and we were there for a little bit."

Seidenberg said his day of celebration was fun, but he's ready to get back to work.

"Now everything’s back to normal, working out, getting ready for the season," said Seidenberg. "It's time to move on. Everybody’s getting ready for the next season and wants to be in the best shape possible.

"Parties are fun, but I think everybody likes to work out and get ready and we cant wait to get going again."

And Dennis has on date circled on his calendar -- October 6th -- the home opener versus Philadelphia.

"Oh yeah that’s going to be crazy," he said. "It will be special."

POSTED ON Wednesday, 08.10.2011 / 8:57 AM ET
By John Bishop - / Stanley's Travels --
Boston Bruins forward and alternate captain Patrice Bergeron said that while nothing was going to beat the celebration after Game 7, his time with the Cup was very special because it allowed him to say "thank you" to the people who helped him along the way.

"I’m really happy," said Bergeron. "It was great.

"It was a chance for me to be able to spend some time with the Cup and enjoy it but also to...say to everyone around me, 'This is because of you as well.' And it was also a chance to say thank you for all of their support.

"I think I did everything I wanted to do with with my time."

Bergeron received the Cup in Quebec City.

"We started at the airport, I went over there with my close family, so my parents, my girlfriend, my brother had his girlfriend and my grandma," said Patrice. "So the seven of uus grabbed a small bus and the whole day I was with them the whole time.

"We went old midget AAA team that I played for one year when I was sixteen years old, and its pretty much where it all started for me -- all the goals and big dreams of one day playing in the NHL -- so I wanted to give back to that opportunity to them.

"I called the organization and I told them I don’t want any kids to know about it, and that I wanted them to be surprised over it and it worked. Their reaction was fun."

Then it was time for a little fun in a not-so-fun place

"And then we went over to a children’s hospital to see some kids," continued Bergeron. "It’s always hard to see kids like that. But I know it meant a lot to them and just seeing their reaction when they saw the Cup was a great moment.

"All I wanted was to bring smiles to their face and brighten up their day."

Bergeron brightened plenty of faces at his next stop, as well.

"After that we went over to the public appearance," explained Bergeron. "It was two-hours and forty-five minutes in downtown Quebec City and the whole population was invited to go there and meet mr, but mostly to have a chance to touch and have a picture with the Cup."  

Finally it was Bergeron's friends and family's turn to touch the Cup.

"Over 200 hundred people were there," said Bergeron. "It wasn’t just my close family or my close friends it was people who had been then and supported me when I was younger. You know my [billet family] when I was playing junior, my old coaches, family from my mom and dad's sides that I don’t get to see that often. So it was great to say thanks to all these people.

"After that it was a private party," he said. "So, that was really the time that I got to relax and really enjoy my time with the Cup."

The next morning, Patrice had some extra time with Stanley as well.

"Obviously, I felt fortunate that I had a chance to have it for a second day," said Bergeron. "I wanted to leave everything mellow and everything within my really close family, because honestly the first day was crazy.

"So, the next day, we had started off with breakfast at the Chateau Frontenac in a private room looking up the St. Lawrence river. We had a buffet there, and the food was amazing. Then we went outside to old Quebec City and we walked around and...we took some pictures with the Cup with my family.

"We walked around and obviously we drew some attention with the big trophy in my hands so we had a big crowd...and the crowd just kept getting bigger and bigger. So it was fun, we took some pictures, people had some nice words to say and it was fun.

"After we had to kind of stop because the crowd was getting pretty big, so after that we took some more pictures in a studio," added Bergeron. "The weather was ok but not you know not the greatest so we wanted to make sure we had some good pictures.

"Then straight home and we stayed there for the rest of the night, just at my place with both families and just took it really easy and had a nice dinner."

Bergeron said he couldn't have asked for a better Cup celebration.

"Yeah it was great," he said. "We had some great moments.

"I mean to get to share it with [my family] was tremendous; it made me feel happy.

"It was very special, emotional two days but it was everything that I could ask for," said Bergeron. 

TD Bank




1 y - FLA 82 47 26 9 239 203 103
2 x - TBL 82 46 31 5 227 201 97
3 x - DET 82 41 30 11 211 224 93
4 BOS 82 42 31 9 240 230 93
5 OTT 82 38 35 9 236 247 85
6 MTL 82 38 38 6 221 236 82
7 BUF 82 35 36 11 201 222 81
8 TOR 82 29 42 11 198 246 69


P. Bergeron 80 32 36 12 68
L. Eriksson 82 30 33 13 63
D. Krejci 72 17 46 4 63
B. Marchand 77 37 24 21 61
R. Spooner 80 13 36 -9 49
T. Krug 81 4 40 9 44
M. Beleskey 80 15 22 6 37
Z. Chara 80 9 28 12 37
J. Hayes 75 13 16 -12 29
D. Pastrnak 51 15 11 3 26
T. Rask 31 22 8 .915 2.56
J. Gustavsson 11 9 1 .908 2.72
Hallmark Health System
Friendly's - Official Family Restaurant and Ice Cream of the Boston Bruins
NHL Ticket Exchange
Dunkin' Donuts   AMI Graphics   Geico - Aim for savings

Click the instant ticket and enter to win Second Chance Drawings